Simon Barber, ThoughtFaqtory’s founder and CTO chats to us about the history of the company, his love for all things tech, and some exciting things on the horizon as ThoughtFaqtory turns 10 this year.
- What is your name, how old are you, and where do you live?
My name is Simon Barber, I am 35 years old and live in Plattekloof, Cape Town.
- How long have you been with ThoughtFaqtory, and how long has the company been going?
I started the company back in 2006 and so this year means we have been around for 10 years. Big things to come and looking forward to revealing this to everyone soon.
- What led to you starting ThoughtFaqtory, and specifically deciding to pursue development as a career?
I got an opportunity to work with a few companies in the US and after a few years landed quite a large project that required me to hire more resource. That led me to starting ThoughtFaqtory. I was introduced to PC computers at a young age from my father, so I learnt everything from software and hardware over the years, then got interested in software development towards the end of my school career and never looked back.
- What is your favourite part of the job?
Innovation and delivering products to happy customers.
- What is your favourite part about the ThoughtFaqtory office?
I enjoy coming into a busy place where everyone is working and enjoying themselves on a daily basis. I do like the old face brick walls too!
- What is your favourite Sunday activity?
Chilling with my family and taking the twins out for lunch where they can enjoy the outdoors.
- If you could be any superhero, who would you be?
- What song do you have on repeat at the moment?
Need You Tonight – INXS
- iOS or Android?
iOS and Google Android devices are great!
- If your life was ever made into a movie, what would it be called, and who would play you?
If I was famous enough and Barber being not a common surname, the movie could be called The Barber and I would like Damian Lewis to play my role.